mayito.com

         home      videos      contact us       archived


HDTV Antenna Tower Installation
January, 2009
Raised antenna and tower
Top section
I purchased the tower used from a gentleman in Bradenton. It's galvanized but some surface rust had to be removed by sanding and then repainted with Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing paint. On the right is the top 8 foot section on the sanding table.
Antenna TowerAntenna Tower HoleThe tower consists of 4 sections, 3 ten footers and the top section at 8 feet. I only plan to use 3 sections and save one as spare. Here are 2 sections, the bottom one buried about 2 feet. It's high enough to clear the roof so I could secure it to the roof prior to installing the last 8 foot section. That's approximately 31 feet high, after adding the mast. I dug the hole with the new John Deere Tractor  and Pablo helped me raise it and level it.

An 8 foot copper rod grounds the tower and also goes back to the house electrical ground rod with a #6ga copper wire.

Click for larger
Installing the rotor mount required some design work since Channel Master does not sell a tower mount for it's  CM-9521 rotor. I cut a 16 inch section of the galvanized mast, purchased 2 galvanized u-bolts and mounted it by removing the existing rotor clamp and using it's threaded housing holes as shown. Using the adjustments nuts and the u-bolts,  I can adjust the x and y axis to center the mast inside the tower mast.
The antenna which was backorder from Solid Signal and took almost 2 months to arrive, (Channel Master CM 3671 Deepest Fringe Crossfire) required assembly which took a couple of hours due to poor instructions. It is very large, more than 14 feet long.  To synchronize the antenna and rotor, I secured it on the mast and placed on the top section. Once assembled, I temporarily tied it upright to the deck to synchronize the rotor to true north. Since I can not reach the antenna once on the tower, I finalized  the coax connection by using hand moldable plastic roll coax sealant. You wrap this stuff around the connectors and it provides a tight moisture proof seal.  The coax cable was another item backordered which I finally decided to purchase at "higher price" Radio Shack. March 2009
Resting on roof
Raising the antenna has been a bit of a struggle since once assembled it requires a lot of clearance to avoid damaging the elements. We did haul it to the roof but were unable to place on the tower due to windy conditions, slippery metal roof and not enough manpower.  The days have been very windy in April and getting a few guys (or my boys) on a calm day has not been easy. I tied a couple of ladders to the tower laying down on the roof to help us walk safely. Soon Pablo will be here from UF and that will give us some additional manpower to raise it.
April 23, 2009.
Raised antenna
Finally we have raised the antenna!

Due to the windy days it was necessary to wait until the evening, around 7:30pm for the wind to die down. Marco, Pablo and myself went on the roof and easily placed it on the section. Then I ran RG6 and rotor wiring under the house and sealed all connections.

Digital channels are coming in great, I also get 2 Tampa channels at 0 degrees (north) but unfortunately they are network channels  which I also get locally.  The Channel Master rotor supposedly needs calibration periodically which can be done manually from remote or unit. However, most of the time it stays in the above position
at about 30 degrees (north is 000)                                        
All I need now is a new 55 inch HDTV !
Still using my 61" rear projection Sony XBR
May 27, 2009
Raised antenna and tower